Welcome Comic Frontline‘s Top 5 Panels! This is where the Frontline Six unite to pick their Top 5 comic panels from the week, and then you guys get to vote below which panel was your favorite. In next week’s post, we will announce the winner from the poll.
Fan Panel Pick From Last Week – The Unstoppable Wasp #5 – I’m Not Okay
5. Sideways #13 – I Love You Too
A touching ending to a solid series.
4. Captain Marvel Braver & Mightier #1 – All of It
I really enjoyed the overall theme for this one-shot.
3. Smooth Criminals #4 – I Hate You!
A fun scene that captures both characters’ personalities very well.
2. Buffy The Vampire Slayer #2 – Cordelia is Back!
1. Smooth Criminals #4 – Free Love
I really enjoyed this scene and view on sexuality between a person from the ’60s and the ’90s.
Honorable Mention – Sideways #13 – Where We’re Going We Don’t Need Phones
Love the Back to the Future reference here, and Ernie’s response in the next panel about him being a dork. The panel the other Frontliners chose from Sideways this week was also in contention. Pretty good final issue!
5. Heroes in Crisis #6 – It’s About Getting Off the Couch
A strong message of just who Roy Harper was nicely illustrated here in what were his last days.
4. Sideways #13 – I’m Just the Guy…
Man, a bit of a darker side of Sideways we see here as he’s having trouble being a hero and is really distraught over the loss of his mom.
3. Heroes in Crisis #6 – I Didn’t Want to Be Alone
Great precursor panel to the one that held the line above as we see Wally cradling the limp Roy, leading us to believe maybe Wally did it…
2. The Flash #65 – Flash Fact!
The best part about this crossover has been Barry standing up to Bruce, calling it like it is. Here, he speeds to within an inch of Batman’s face and lays it out for him before pulling back. Great scene and beautifully illustrated!
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer #2 – Not Really Cool, Guys…
Poor Xander is struggling with being left out in this new take on the Buffy origin, and this moody and atmospheric scene of him sitting alone in the dark erasing his text is heart-wrenching and relatable.
Honorable Mention – The Flash #65 – We Can Trust The Flash Right?
Something big is coming in the near future and this is where it starts.
5. Heroes In Crisis #6 – How’re You Supposed To Be Hope Without…
Love the emotions and psychology going on here with Wally having the weight of hope for a universe but not having his hope in this universe. But also man the homage to the classic New Teen Titans cover in the middle of it really hits it over the fence.
4. Detective Comics #999 – Everything Has A Price…
This issue delved deep into the psyche of Batman and this was a great example of it with Bruce talking to the boy he was hoping he could have been a boy just a little bit longer. This is so deep on so many levels.
3. Detective Comics #999 – Three People Died That Night…
Again further exploring the psychology of that one night. Bruce has to metaphorically/symbolically bury the boy he was so the man who would become Batman can live on. So eerily beautiful.
2. The Flash #65 – Deep Cuts!
1. The Flash #65 – Don’t Go Through That Door!
5. Batman Beyond #29 – A Heart Attack!
Who would have ever thought in the final fight between Bruce and Joker that The Joker would die of a heart attack!
4. West Coast Avengers #8 – No Pet Insurance
Jeff the Landshark not covered under insurance? Not acceptable!
3. Sideways #13 – I Love You Too
The end of a wonderful series, knowing that Derek’s mom is still out there is pretty cool. Hopefully, this will not be the last of Sideways.
2. West Coast Avengers #8 – Eight?
1. Avengers No Road Home #3 – Old Man Hawkeye
A very dark moment between Clint and Hulk. I bet Clint after this conversation is truly thinking about his mortality.